I just got back from consecutive trips to Sri Lanka, Prague and the Costa Brava and I’m feeling miserable. I’m suffering from excessive fatigue, a lack of appetite, impaired concentration and all-day crankiness. All signs of a dramatic post-holiday dip. Scientific research shows that the positive effects of a holiday only last for so long and a small percentage even develops signs of depression.
Fortunately, in my case it’s all thanks to a night of partying and little sleep and I expect I will feel better in a few hours ;)
Still, I do feel a tiny bit depressed. Traveling makes you feel amazing. Almost like a drug. You experience new things. You push your boundaries. You see and learn. You open your heart to new people and cultures. Especially, when being longer on the road, you get into a certain ‘travel vibe’ of happiness, adventure and freedom.
So, how to cope with a post-holiday dip and more importantly how can you hold on to that beautiful holiday feeling? Below are ten easy tips to keep you into the travel vibe.
1. Do a micro adventure
Read all about microadventures on the website of Alastair Humphreys or take part in his ‘Year of Microadventure‘. These are some ideas from his website:
- Sleep in your garden
- Swim wild – in a river, lake or sea
- Learn to identify a new bird or new tree each month
- Make a cup of tea on a stove you have made yourself
2. Read a book in your local coffee shop
3. Talk to strangers
Talking to strangers is an important part of the travel fun and I always love meeting new people and hear their stories! So, talk to the person next to you in the train, to a stranger in a cafe, to a friendly shop owner etc. We do this when we travel, why not do this at home?
4. Imagine you’re still traveling: Forget time, get lost in your own city/country, discover new streets or areas and continue to take photos!
5. Work on your travel stories and scroll through old travel photos
6. Listen to your favorite travel music
Listening to your favorite travel music is a great way to hold on to that holiday feeling! Wonderwall of Oasis somehow always reminds me of backpacking, sitting around campfires, being on the road etc.!
7. Start dreaming about new trips
8. In case of bad weather upon return… Ignore it and find a solarium!
9. Follow a travel blog and travel along!
In this internet and live-update era it’s easy to travel along with someone via blogs, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube etc.! You can find some of the most popular travel blogs in this list! Not in this list, but also worth mentioning are: Karlijn Travels (currently traveling the Silk Road, beautiful Instagram photos, blog in Dutch) and Nomadasaurus (currently overlanding from Thailand to South Africa, cool FB page, blog in English).
10. Go to a restaurant representing your holiday country
Do you recognize the post-holiday dip? And do you have any additional tips on how to hold on to that holiday feeling?