The search for the best backpacker tent
The last few years, I traveled with a tent. A tent offers you the certainty of a place to sleep, cheaper accommodation and it gets you to more remote places. Especially in Africa and Central Asia, I used my tent a lot (sometimes on a daily basis)! But, what makes a tent great for backpacking? For me, the best backpacker tent would be ultralight, compact and strong. It needs to keep me warm and dry, and preferably with enough space for my backpack and cooking.
Lately, I’ve been backpacking with the Nordisk Telemark 1 LW . Find my review of the Nordisk Telemark 1 LW below. Is this truly the best backpacker tent or should I continue my search?
About the Nordisk Telemark 1 LW tent
In 2016, I brought my Nordisk tent for a long-term backpacking and camping trip in Southern Africa and Central Asia. During a recent trip to Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia, I also brought my Nordisk tent with me. The Nordisk tent is a 1-person two-layer tent, famous for its extreme low weight and pack size.
Some details of the Nordisk Telemark 1 LW:
Pack size: 12×41 cm
Weight: 830 grams
Flysheet: 2000 mm
Inner tent floor: 8000 mm
Wind test: 25m/s
Inner pockets: Yes
Costs: 400-500 euro’s
Review Nordisk Telemark 1 LW
What I love:
- The size and the weight. I carry my tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat in my 65L backpack, so it has to be small and super light weight.
- The floor space. It’s just big enough for me and my backpack.
- The tent pockets. Easy to keep small things.
- Waterproof. Even in heavy rain, the tent kept my dry.
- The quality of the carbon poles and titanium pegs. These remained strong and shiny.
- The small porch for cooking and to put your shoes.
- Good ventilation. It’s never stuffy.
- It only takes 5 minutes to pitch!
If I was the boss of Nordisk, I would improve:
- The quality of the tent wall and floor. Unfortunately, because it’s so thin, the material tears easily. During my long-term trip, I had to repair three holes in the first 2 months. This was very disappointing.
(This is not something Nordisk can improve, but my next backpacking tent is probably free standing, so I can pitch it anywhere)
Instead of the Nordisk Telemark 1 LW tent, these are some other good candidates for the Best Backpacker Tent title:
- Nigor Pio Pio Solo: Nigor is a new Dutch brand. Compared to my Nordisk tent, the inner height of the Nigor version is higher (you can sit upright). I would love to try this tent on another backpacking adventure. The price is around 450 euro’s
- Hilleberg Akto: Hilleberg is a well-established tent brand. The Akto is an all-season tent designed for extreme use. It’s therefore slightly heavier. This looks like a perfect tent for backpacking and I would seriously consider this as my next tent! The price is around 600 euro’s.
- The Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 tent: This is another ultra light weight tent suitable for 3 seasons. It weighs 0.72 kilograms and the packed size is only 8 x 35 cm. The price is around 550 euro’s.
Bunch of Backpackers final verdict. Is it truly the best backpacker tent?
Overall, I’m very happy with the tent! It’s perfect for my long-term backpacking trips because it’s light and does not take up to much space. However, I was disappointed by the three holes and I feel this is something that can be improved (especially if you take the price in account). In short, it’s not the best backpacking tent, but it’s certainly close ;)
Disclaimer: I bought the Nordisk Telemark 1 LW tent myself! Opinions are as always my own.
Do you bring a tent on your backpack trips? What type of tent do you have?