While going through my travel notes for my ‘11 quirky things in Japan‘ article, I stumbled upon a word cloud which I had created in Japan at the end of my trip. The word cloud consisted of words that had come to mind, while I was reflecting on some typical daily life Japanese things I encountered and observed during my trip.
And guess what? I challenge you to try every single one of them (including complaining about the weather) ;). So here it is, my ‘Do As The Japanese Do’ For Travelers list.
11 x Do as the Japanese Do for Travelers!
1. Read manga or sleep on the subway
Find more Manga and geeky Japan things to do in this article!
2. Eat sushi and drink sake
3. Go to an onsen (Japanese bathing house)
4. Do karaoke and sing as beautiful as you can
5. Say ‘itadakimasu’ before dinner (meaning ‘I receive’)
6. In summer, carry a small towel around your neck
8. Take off your shoes when entering a room
7. Sleep on the floor
9. Say -chan (child) or -san (adult) at the end of a name
10. Buy a bento box
11. Complain about the weather and say with a sigh ‘atsui’ (meaning it’s hot) or say with a brrr ‘samui’ (meaning it’s cold)
Have you been to Japan? Do you recognize any of the above things?
Recommended additional Japan reading: