On the hotlist of every traveller: a USA road trip with your own van! Driving through national parks, eating a homemade burger in front of the van and experience the endless freedom on the road! How much money should you save for a USA road trip? What are examples of prices in the USA? Vincent hit the road last summer with his girlfriend. Take a look at his expenses and costs!
This article is part of the Money Matters series in which we ask travelers to keep their expenses for Bunch of Backpackers. Real travelers, real expenses.
COSTS 30-DAY USA ROAD TRIP*: 2850 EURO (3886 USD)
DAILY TRAVEL EXPENSES*: 95 EURO (129 USD)
*These daily travel expenses are per 1 person per day. Excluding international flights.
Including all tours, souvenirs, lodging, food, drinks, entrance fees, domestic flights, tips etc.
EXAMPLES OF PRICES IN THE USA:
Rental of van for 28 days including insurance: 2280 euro (3100 USD) (obviously depends on type etc.)
Gas for about 4000 miles: 650 euro (886 USD)
Private tour Vermillion Cliffs National Monument: 184 euro (250 USD) for one person
Skydive Canyonland and Arches: 170 euro (230 USD) for one person
National Park Pass: 80 euro (110 USD) for one person
A bed in a 6-p dorm (in San Francisco): 19 euro (25 USD)
One night in a double room in a simple guesthouse: 33 euro (45 USD)
A short 10-minute taxi ride: 11 euro (15 USD)
A bottle of water (0,5L) at the store: 0,7 euro (1 USD)
A local beer at a bar/restaurants: 2,6 euro (3,5 USD)
A glass of coca cola in a restaurant: 1,4 euro (2 USD)
Lunch at a local restaurant: 8 euro (11 USD)
Dinner at a cheap local restaurant: 8,8 euro (12 USD)
Dinner at an average priced restaurant: 14,6 euro (20 USD)
SOME DETAILS ON THIS TRIP:
About the backpacker(s): Vincent and his girlfriend, both in their late twenties.
Destination and travel period: Southwest USA in July 2013 for 30 days.
Visited places: California, Utah, Nevada, Arizona (find their full travel itinerary here)
Type of trip: Independently
Accommodation: better qualified campings
Transportation: rental of a van (with a bed in the back)
Food: sometimes cooking at the camping, sometimes local places
Exchange rate at the time of travel: 1,00 USD = 0,73 euro
5 BUDGET TIPS FOR YOUR USA ROADTRIP
1. If you rent a van, you are allowed to sleep on the side of the roads (excluding highways/National parks). Also, the cheaper campings cost about 10 USD for a spot, but you won’t have wifi/electricity/hot showers). Check out their van rental website!
2. Buying food in the store and cooking yourself will be a bit cheaper, but not as cheap as in Asia.
3. Remember: the bigger the car, the more fuel you are likely to need. Also, save gas while driving. Turn of the AC etc.
4. Don’t take on too many kilometers per day. The golden road trip rule is a maximum of 300k per day.
5. Avoid parking in big cities.
Check out the ultimate southwest USA road trip itinerary of Vincent!